Twitter is all abuzz these days with #tweetyour16yearoldself notes from all kinds of people. It’s been kinda fun to watch, read, and play along.
It can be a bit poignant too. I found myself with tears in my eyes once or twice, after reading some of the tweets of others, and re-reading my own, right here -
You can do it. Yes, you can.
You’ll feel pretty one day.
Everybody has angst at age sixteen, I think. I mean, they must! It’s the best of times, and the worst of times. It’s awful. And delicious. Wonderful, stressful, worrisome times.
You know how much I love lists, so here we go – 16 short notes to my 16-year-old self:
1. You won’t get any taller than this, and it’s really okay.
2. You’ll be happier once you give up the search for long hair. And you’ll rock near-baldness one day – it’s sexy.
3. You’re just like everybody else, but you are not ordinary. Not at all.
4. The boys you like won’t like you now. You’re right not to waste your time with the dumb ones… but you will be loved one day.
5. Practising kissing with those same dumb boys is fun though. And it’s okay. And it is enough. Really, don’t stress about doing more than you feel you want to.
6. That guy you hope will be the one is really not the one. Don’t cry over him – he’s a loser. (Better is coming!!) And when that guy shows up? You’ll know what unhinged feels like, and you’ll be holding onto the walls for weeks. It’s a good thing – don’t be scared.
7. Everyone wishes you would stop smoking those fucking cigarettes… but you won’t for a while. (But then you will!)
8. It will never serve you well to pretend to be less brainy than you are. Never. So stop doing that.
9. Accepting rides with “strangers?” Yeah. Never do that again.
10. Listen to your mother – she knows it all.
11. Your sister will be your greatest supporter and friend one day soon. You’ll never fight anymore. Playing with her is some of the best fun there is.
12. People like you. Don’t worry about pleasing everybody ALL the time.
13. You’ll be all stylish and whatnot one day. (Kinda.)
14. The pretty girls you’re all jealous over, with their hair and looks and boyfriends will turn into chunky soccer moms married to the beefy football dudes. You will be sad for them. (Kinda.)
15. Be kind. Always. Kindness comes back to you. Always.
16. You’re going to be fine. Everything gets so, So, SO much better after this… don’t worry. Don’t worry. Don’t worry.
This is a picture of me and one of my greatest friends ever, Monica Sarty – it was May of 1988, and I was sixteen and a half, I guess. I haven’t actually seen her in years… but I love her the same as I always did.
I wish I’d known about tweezers back then.
And then I learned about them. Oh boy, did I…
And now have to draw them in with Mac Espresso powder and an angled brush every morning. Oy.
I’m glad I’m not sixteen anymore. I like facing forward. My birthday is around the corner… the last in my thirties. It’s all good, people.
What would you go back and tell YOUR sixteen year old self?